In order for us to work out the shape of your horse or pony and advise on what saddle would be best it is a good idea to send us a template and photographs of your horse along with your contact details. Please refer to our ‘Taking Photographs for Saddle Fitting‘ page for information on what photographs we require.
What You Will Need
- A flexi curve of 40cm or longer (this can be obtained from most stationery shops or art shops).
- A large piece of plain paper – preferably an A3 or two A4 sheets taped together.
- The horse or pony to be measured standing on a flat, level surface as squarely as possible.
What You Will be Taking A Template Of
The front arch of the saddle tree needs to be the same shape and width as the part of the horse’s back where it should be positioned. This position is 1-2″ behind the scapula (shoulder blade bone). We need you to find this point before a template can be taken.
How To Take The Template
- Stand the horse on a flat, level surface as squarely as possible.
- Straighten out the flexi curve then bend equally in half, making a ‘v’ shape.
- Carefully place on the horses back just behind the withers. The sides of the curve should be 1-2″ just behind the shoulder blades (scapular bones) pointing down behind the elbows. Sometimes it will be more, since every horse has a different extension length of the scapula when in motion: as a rule, the bigger / higher the wither, the larger the scapula.
- Mould the curve on the back and get the exact shape of the withers and sides of the back.
- Before removing the flexi curve check that you have measured in the same position on the left and right sides.
- Carefully remove the flexi curve noting which is the left and right side of the horse.
- On the large piece of paper draw around the curve following the edge that was in contact with the horse. Note on this sheet the left and right side of the horse.
Do not worry if the two sides look slightly different in shape, there may be a difference in the horse’s muscle. The saddler will take this into account.
Below can be seen a correctly placed flexi curve and a drawn template, please remember to include photographs, your contact details and your horse’s height and breed.